Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Catch up day.



Well this weekend was crazy and fun and I just haven't really had the time or energy to blog so it's catch up time.  So Saturday morning we woke up early and headed to Mamalapurum.  A beach/ shopping town! Yay for the beach! It was so wonderful.  I bought some hand made leather sandals, and some presents for my family, etc. And we saw some really spectacular ruins.  That was so fun for me.  I loved it all.  There was a really serene feeling around them.  I think a lot of yoga has been done there.  And the beach.  The beach is heaven on earth to me.  I love it all.  I love the smell, the sound, the wet sand in my underpants, getting beat up by the waves.  I just love it all.  The Bay of Bengal treated us well.  We payed like $4 and went to a private beach so there were very few people and it was just perfect.  I was so happy I don't think I said any words for like two hours.  I just sat and smiled.  Then we got to watch a movie with the kiddo's that night which was a big event for all.  It basically just turned into a huge human mattress in the dining hall.  It was so fun.  But we were SO tired by the end of that day.  I slept wonderfully for probably the first time since I've been here.  The next day was Sunday so we woke up early again and headed to churchy.  It is 2 hours away to the nearest chapel (which is really just a basement)  but we picked up a bunch of the kids from the village around us and we headed out! I can't believe how much faith was in that building.  Every single person seemed to just have so much love for the gospel oozing out of them.  I wish so badly I had the time to just sit with them and hear every single one of their stories because every single story was amazing.  They all seemed to just feel like they were so sad before they had the gospel, one man even said he felt like killing himself until he found the light of the gospel.  How wonderful is that?  That's what it's all about! It's so simple! Heavenly Father wants us to be happy! And these people were so happy to have the gospel.  I loved every second of it.  Even when the power in the building kept cutting out.  (it's a common occurrence here.)  It was very humbling and I have so much to learn from these people, it's unreal.  Then we ate pizza.  But I don't really know if you can call it eating.  More like we INHALED pizza.  Monday we were on construction duty.  We have just been building more bathrooms and septic tanks! The septic tanks consist of 6  500 pound cement rings that we have to carry, not roll, into place and lower them into a hole they've dug and lower them in.  Then we have to fill around the rings with dirt.  I've never sweat as much as I do when I'm doing construction.  It's incredible really.  But then afterwords yesterday, we went to the local snake charmer's house.  ( This is for you, Jenny.)  And he had a cobra.  It was 5 feet long.  And he milked it in front of us and then he watered the poison down a little bit and drank it so that the poison has less of an effect on him.  It was unreal.  He would hit the thing so it would get mad at him and strike at him.  It was one of the scariest things I've ever been around.  And I was only like 2 feet away from it.  So nuts.  Anyways, sorry this post is so long.  Here are some pictures of the greatness.  :) Jai Ho.
PS-  Sorry the pictures got out of order and I'm having difficulty fixing it so I am just going to roll with it...
The beginning of the ruins in Mammalapurum.

The watered down snake venom.

Just way too close for comfort.  Showing us the fangs.

After he watered it down and said "Cheers".  Can't be good for you..

Terrifying.

Milking the snakey snake.

He got the snake way mad.  Also just terrifying.

The album artwork on music is just phenomenal here. 

SO HAPPY TO BE AT THE BEACH!

So happy to be at the ruins. I really loved it.

:)

Amy and I with our brand new custom made shoes.

The Bay of Bengal treated us well.

Elephants are so wonderful in India.

This is called Lakshmi's butterball or something like that.  They've tied elephants to it to try to pull it down and it just won't budge.  So I took a picture by it of course.


Bravest man alive probs.

He was so big and scary.  And so close to me.  Jenny you would have freaked.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Ees possible dat lakshmi's butterball is dere because da king did not want to look at his white trash neighbor's house anymore. Also, da king had a wizard put a spell on da rock so dat it did not move, or someting.

    Am I imagining it, or is that cobra being held down by a chunk of metal? If that's the case, I wouldn't be concerned at all. He clearly wouldn't be able to reach you. ;)

    ReplyDelete